Friday, March 6, 2009

Bugs in my book!

To whomsoever it may concern:

Sounds too Legal type of language, right? Naturally, I have to use this language with people getting too sensitive about intellectual property.

I must admit that being from Information Technology industry, I am not unfamiliar with bugs. Every product or service has some bug or the other. So how can my book be different? :-)

Affiliation:

I am an alumnus of the Indian Institute of Management Bangalore (IIMB) having completed the 3-year PGSEM course graduating in 2001.

My book "Marketing of Information Technology" (ISBN 9780070248724) was published in December 2009, by McGraw-Hill Education India. The book mentions my affiliation as "Faculty - Marketing of IT, Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore". My affiliation is specific, to clearly mention that I teach only the subject of marketing of information technology at IIMB. I have made no claims beyond this. I have taught this subject to the second year PGP (MBA) students of IIMB, as its Guest Faculty from the year 2003, every year. I have received positive feedback from the students and honourarium from IIMB too. However, to be accurate, I emphasize that the affiliation should read as "Guest Faculty, Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore", simply because I was never a full-time employee of IIM Bangalore. The mention of "Guest" as requested by me, perhaps got missed out by publisher / printer in multiple rounds of reviews during production.

The schools that I teach / taught:
My book has a sentence about me that can create opportunity for incorrect understanding.

I delivered a lecture titled "Intellectual Property in the context of Offshoring" to the students of The University of Michigan Law School in April 2006 (probably on 17th of that month, via Skype). This lecture was facilitated by Prof. Pavan Mamidi, my Law teacher (he's a genius indeed). This was mentioned correctly on the cover page as "He has delivered lectures in the University of Michigan Law School, and the Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore and has also taught at the Padre Conceicao College of Engineering, Goa".

However, in the "Author's profile" page, the sentence mentions "His has also taught at The University of Michigan Law School, Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore and Padre Conceicao College of Engineering, Goa." There's also a typo (His instead of He).

The mention on the book cover is correct. I wonder why this correction I suggested during production was made only on the cover and not in the Author's Profile page.

Anyway, these may seem unnecessary communication, but the Internet is a great place to go public, clean!

Some things I am very cautious of:
1. People can be pedantic - be as detailed if required.
2. Disclosure is best way to stay clean!

More later, sometime.
K Venkatesh

No comments:

My GoodReads Bookshelf - The books I have read and found interesting...